Our dear prophet joined his wife last week. It was wonderful how long he could continue in his service to God and us. I will never forget the experiences I have had with him over the years. The first time I met him, I was a teenager dusting in the celestial room of the Manti Temple before it was re-dedicated. He walked in and walked over and shook my hand. I remember being awe-struck- not even sure what I would have said, but remember thinking, " I hope he didn't think my hand was greasy from the dusting cloth." I never forgot that meeting as a teenager. He was presided at the re-dedication, where I had some of my greatest spiritual experiences. The next time I met him, we were fortunate enough to take the Bingham Seminary Council to his office to meet him, since Mike was the Seminary Council Advisor. What a special blessing and a sweet experience. He commented about the flowers and beauty on temple square, asked the youth a few questions, and made them laugh. The next year, we went again with a different group and a new baby, Bradley. I'll never forget him coming over to shake our hands and he shook Bradley's foot and said, "Now, that's a good boy!" We tell him he has to live up to that!!
During the Olympics, we were with hoards of people trying to see him as he held up the torch. (Saw mostly backs of head, though).
President Hinckley came out to California to dedicate our Sacramento Temple, and we were able to be in the temple with our 2 oldest for that dedication and be there when he came out and got in his car. Our kids were so excited to see him in person.
With that temple dedication, came a Temple Jubilee which our youth (including McKenzie) practiced for for months. Watching this program in the events center was an incredible experience. Thousands of our youth screamed for him as if he were a rock star as he came in and waved his cane and talked to them. I wondered what the security guards thought, as this was different than other events they've had with screaming young people. I wondered if they knew the importance of this 95 year old man in the lives of these kids and the lives of millions around the world. This experience has left a unforgettable impression on McKenzie's mind, as well as mine.
I know he was a prophet of God and am grateful I was able to live in a time to know of this great man. He truly was as "the north star, constant". I have learned so much over the years from him and he truly has strengthened my testimony and my desire to "be a little better". I am grateful for the church and for our knowledge that we do have a prophet to guide us. I love President Monson and will learn as well from him.
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing those experiences. You are blessed to have met him personally. He truly was a man of GOd and a wonderful leader of our church. I will miss him so much!
Tanya
Post a Comment