Friday, October 9, 2009

Quick trip to Utah...

I had been talking with my parents about the condition of my brother Brian who is autistic and Down's Syndrome. He had gotten really sick and spent a couple days in the hospital with Pneumonia. They found out he had some issues with his vocal cords/lungs that are non-treatable, and they thought they may have to put him on a ventilator. So I grabbed a flight Tues night at 10pm, hopped on a plane on Wednesday and went to see him before he got too bad. He really means a lot to me, and we have all had some great times with him, even though there have been many difficult times as well. He is non-verbal, but you could see his agony in his eyes of not wanting to be in the hospital. He was miserable- hard to see him in that state. But I'm glad I went. Tanya was sweet to watch Addison while I took my mom up to the hospital one morning for a visit. My siblings also all came up the first night and we took turns seeing him in the intensive care unit, since only 2 could go in at a time. We also got to have a family discussion and cry a little together. Uncle Ned and Aunt Judy were sweet to let us stay, and even use their car, and were great hosts to a stressed out family. Dad came up on Thursday night and I got to see how happy Brian was to have his Dad there.He would just stare longingly at Dad, saying with his eyes, "Help me!". At one point, he grunted and got mad when mom left the room for a few minutes. I'm so glad I went. He is doing better now and at home with Mom and Dad to take care of him. Lots of decisions have been made and are made daily on his behalf and it's a little stressful on them. I have angels for parents- they are amazing in their show of love, patience, and concern for their little boy (who's actually 35). We all love Brian and have great memories of growing up with him and would not be the same without him. At one point when I was first pregnant with McKenzie, I had to have some genetic testing at the U. The genetic counselor told me it was alright if I found out my baby had down's Syndrome to abort, since that's what many choose to do. I couldn't believe she'd tell me this, although they probably have to, but I told her of my brother and how much I have learned from him and would never consider that. I'm grateful to a loving Heavenly Father that put him on this earth to teach us a few things. Now if I could only remember these lessons during my daily struggles...
Here are some pictures of my quick jaunt to see him...
Addy with Grandma and Grandpa...

Tanya really entertained Addy well for a few hours...They put fruit loops on the babies eyes, which made Addy laugh. It was cute to drive down the street and see Addy pushing the baby buggy.




With Judy and Ned, wonderful people in their newly remodeled kitchen. Fun to see it!

Visiting Brian in the hospital.





Brian feeling better and at home for now...Check out his smile. You can see how much happier he is at home. Wish I could be there in person to enjoy his happiness. Thanks everyone for your prayers for him. Glad he's feeling better.

2 comments:

walkin on cloud nine said...

I love that smile of his. He does look so much happier. It is NEVER fun to be in the hospital.
Thanks for the opportunity to spend some time with Addison. SHe is really growing up. We had a great time together!

Lisa said...

I'm sorry you've had to struggle through this. Your sweet spirit and faithful words are inspiring, though.