Monday, June 14, 2010

It takes a village...


One thing I've noticed about coming back home is that we have lots of help to raise our children. Everyone is busy raising their own families, but you see people everywhere and they all seem to look out for our family...some examples:

A good friend's mom told me that she's at the high school often and she'll watch out for McKenzie and if she sees her hanging around the wrong kids, she said, "I'll just pull her aside and tell her that she's too good for that. And she shouldn't be hanging around them".

Then I finally convinced Bradley to get his haircut (It looked like clown hair), and he told the hairdresser that has known me all my life that he wants a mullet and long in the back. She winked at me as she found a compromise between what he wanted and what mom wanted. Then the little older lady waiting to get her hair done asked why he wanted it long. He told her his friends in California have their hair that way. She said, "Oh- you should want to be different- to be an example and a leader to those kids!". He got a kick out of her.

The bishop of the ward we'll be in when we build has been great to get to know the kids and watch out for them.

Bradley got lost at Temple hill the other night after practice, and I was very worried. I went back up to find him after I checked my mom's house, and while I was gone, a former teacher of mine had brought him home. He had a good chat with him. He'll be his shop teacher and will look out for him.

The secretaries at the middle school gave the 2 kids a tour of the school and told them they could always go to the office if they needed ANYTHING!

People call my mom when they hear of a rental home. They are all looking out for us.


My parents have been a great influence where needed with my kids. My dad has taken Bradley to work on the farm with him for 6-8 hours a day and Bradley has loved it. My mom has chatted with the kids and given them lots of attention. Addison only wanted grandma, not mom, yesterday. She rocked her for about 2 hours!

Gotta love this village!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Great to hear that you are back home. I don't get down there much.

That is awesome to have others that you can lean on to help with your family. I have that here where I am at. It makes it easier to be a mom.

Lisa said...

Suzy, that sounds wonderful! How blessed you are to be raising your children in such a place. I've always wanted to go see what Utah is all about and meet the saints there. You make it sound just as wonderful as I ever imagined it would be.

cambridgeclan said...

Suzy, I am so happy for you. I am also so glad that Bradly is doing well. We miss you.

Melanie said...

Wow, I didn't realize you had moved back to Utah. I saw Mckenzie at Stake Conference today with the Murdocks, but I thought she was just visiting. Hope you are all doing well. Email when you get a minute~
Melanie