Thursday, May 19, 2011

All-Nighter at the ER



What a night we had about a month ago...we played some neighborhood games with some friends (Fugitive) and I sent Nathan off with some people as they were going down a creek bed and I wasn't up for that. When I saw Nathan next, the adult that was with them said he had a bloody nose. We went in the seminary building bathroom and assessed the situation. It was obvious he needed stitches both under his nose and the back of his head. He had ran and hit a sharp metal pole and cut his nose pretty bad, then fell back and hit the back of his head on the rocks. It was pretty deep under his nose (you could almost peel his nose back if it would have been any deeper- I know- Gross!), so I figured he needed a plastic surgeon. We went to the local ER anyway, just to see if they could do it, but they wanted NO part in that! So they sent us to Primary Children's for a plastic Surgeon. We got home at 5am! It was exhausting! He ended up with staples in the back of his head and 2 layers of stitches in his nose. The plastic Surgeon couldn't believe how brave he was, just squeezing my hand and not screaming or flinching. Big tears came out of his eyes when he was in pain, but he had the best attitude. On the way up, I said, "Oh- why did I let you go down that ditch? Stupid!" He said, "Mom- what's done is done! You can't do anything about it now!" Later I asked him if the glass was half-full or half-empty (our Home-teaching lesson earlier that month) and he said, "Half-full, because we have to have experiences in this life so we can learn". You are right Nathan, and you teach me every day! He was a trooper!

Totally deserved the frozen slushy afterward! So did I (and they gave me one too!)

No comments: